There are a lot of things in the world that make me happy, and there are a lot that make me sad and hurt me. I’ve been going through quite a few things lately, and so, instead of dwelling on all of the weird things going on in my life, I’ve decided to make a list of things that make me really happy.
1. My family. I have an incredibly supportive family, which I know I’m very blessed to have. Not everyone can say that but, even though they’re a little bizarre sometimes, they’re always there to help me pick up the pieces when things get hard.
2. My school. I have an incredibly beautiful campus, where I have access to professional grade equipment and incredible classmates that I’m learning from everyday.
3. My friends. Now, I’m not an overly popular person, but I do have a great network of people in my life that are there for me in so many ways. Whether they are classmates, people I’ve known throughout my childhood, or people that I have met through my jobs, etc. they’re all really great people and help me through the tough stuff.
4. Cheesy movies. I am a lover of watching films, and every once in a while I find an incredibly cheesy one that just makes me feel better when I’m having a rough day. They also always put me in a better mood, even if I’m in a good mood already. Currently, I’m in love with 10 Things I Hate About You with Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger and Joesph Gordon-Levitt. Yeah, it’s a little old (1999, ah that fashion sense…) but still doesn’t fail to make me grin from ear to ear with Heath starts to sing to Julia on the football field. Awh yeah.
5. Superhero movies. Anyone who knows me knows that I adore almost all of the Marvel films that I have seen, especially the ones that they’ve been putting out recently. Obviously there are exceptions (Ugh, Daredevil & Elektra) but sit me down in front of Spider-Man, X-Men, Ironman, and various others and you’ll have a happy girl. Put The Avengers on, and I’ll love you even more.
6. Movies in general. Do I really need anymore of an explanation than that? Action movies, Disney movies, Studio Ghibli movies, almost anything really.
7. Thomas William Hiddleston. Say what you want about celebrity crushes (hmm, future blog post?) but he is by far my favorite. He is kind, humble, a British gentleman and has various other talents and qualities to boot. You can check out his wicked dance moves, how much fun he has, eating cookies on Sesame Street, or his compassionate heart. There are a lot of things that are really great about this man, and I think that is why he is one of the things that makes me incredibly happy. Having someone in the limelight who views it as a job that he’s very lucky to have, who uses his status to gain awareness for campaigns close to his heart, and who is just generally a good person helps me have a little more faith in humanity.
8. Photography. It is something that I’m passionate about, and completely enamored with. Sometimes I go through dry spells where I just don’t want to pick up my camera, but when I’m out of that spell and shooting, I am in my happy place. I love capturing moments and making people look their best and I love catching their little quirks and things that make them who they are. I also find beauty in architecture, landscapes, cityscapes, etc. so I love exploring with my camera in hand.
9. Coloring in coloring books. That’s right, I went there. Yes, I’m twenty two and I still enjoy sitting down and just whipping out a coloring book, my 96 pack of crayons and coloring. Do you know how relaxing and soothing it is, just shading in a page? I should start bringing them to school, because it really helps with calming me down when I’m anxious, not that I remember that when I’m feeling my anxiety come on.
10. Back scratches. Oh man, I am kind of cat like when I get a good back scratch. Like I could fall asleep quite easily right next to you if a) I’m comfortable enough with you, and b) you give an amazing back scratch.
11. McFly. Everyone has that artist or band that makes them feel a million times better, no matter what’s going on. It may have been a band that you listened to as a kid, or one that relates to a really good memory, or any other of the million reasons why. That is what McFly is for me. I have been a fan since I was thirteen and have been in love ever since. Now if I had never heard of them until I was twenty-two, and you made me listen to them now, I probably wouldn’t like them very much, but because I had them when I was going through some of the toughest things in my younger years, they’ve become a staple in my ‘feel good’ routine. My theme song? Star Girl and you can make fun of me later if you want.
12. Chocolate ice cream. Just plain ol’ nothing added to it chocolate ice cream. Chocolate is a girls best friend, and ice cream is perfect.
13. Tumblr. Haha, yes, I spend an unnatural amount on tumblr. And just in case, no, I’m not giving out my url. I’ve met a couple friends through there who I’m able to talk to, who have a unique view, and who I can ask for advice when I need a non-objective perspective. It also provides me with a sense of community with people who enjoy the same things as me but also gives me a good laugh, especially when I need it most. Tumblr definitely has it’s flaws, there are some jerks there, but it also has a lot of good, and time wasting qualities that may be just what I’m looking for at the time.
14. When people say something reminded them of me. That is literally one of the best feelings ever. Whenever I have a friend or classmate who sends me something or even tells me about something that they have seen and they’re like, “I just had to tell you because you were the first person I thought of…” that makes my heart so happy. I try and make a point of letting the people in my life know that things remind me of them, and I adore it when they do it for me. It reminds me that even when I’m not there, I’m sometimes on their mind, and that’s a pretty great feeling.
15. Tea. Yes. Tea. I drink a slightly crazy amount of it, and it comes in so many incredibly great flavors. Me? I really shouldn’t be allowed to even walk into a DavidsTea because it’s dangerous and I’d spend every dollar I had there, but their selection is incredible. My favorites? Cinnamon Heart, Glitter and Gold, Red Velvet Cake, Birthday Cake, and Oh Canada. So, so good.
16. Smiles from strangers. Especially cute strangers. I don’t even know why, but I think it’s just nice to flash someone a smile every once in a while, even if you don’t know them. It could really brighten up their day. I know this because it sure brightens mine.
There really are a lot of things that make me feel good and happy, and I don’t always remember them when I do feel bad. So, I’m going to try and enjoy these things more, along with everything else that makes me happy because I deserve to treat myself well. That’s a lesson I’m still learning, but it always starts with the little things. Treat yourself well, and tell me, what are some of the things that make you happy?